- Activists in Boat Blocking Coal Ship at Brayton Point Coal Plant on May 15, 2013
- New Report: CEOs Pushing Austerity Enjoy Taxpayer-Subsidized Pay on May 2, 2013
- Civil Society and Entrepreneurs Call on World Bank to Clean Up Energy Lending on April 3, 2013
- New Report Shows True Cost of Inequality in Maryland on March 20, 2013
- New Report Exposes Extreme Disparity in the Social Security Debate on March 14, 2013
Japan's Nuclear Emergency: Media Briefing
March 18, 2011
Slideshow courtesy of Friends of The Earth.
Click the links below for more on the press briefing:
transcript (PDF); audio via Earthbeat; and still photos
Experts Analyze Latest Developments in Japan
The following experts provided analysis of the latest news coming out of Japan, as well as the implications of these developments, to members of the media on March 18.
- Peter Bradford, former member of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and former chair of the Maine and New York utility commissions. Bradford teaches energy policy and law at the Vermont Law School and has taught at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies.
- Robert Alvarez, Senior Scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies. Alvarez researches nuclear disarmament, environmental, and energy policies. He served as a senior policy adviser to the Energy Department's secretary and deputy assistant secretary from 1993 to 1999.
- Dr. Jeffrey Patterson, radioactive exposure expert and a board member of Physicians for Social Responsibility. Patterson is a professor in the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Wisconsin and Public Health. He maintains an active family practice and teaches residents in family medicine. He traveled to Chernobyl in 1986 with a delegation of physicians.
Erich Pica, president of Friends of the Earth and an expert on federal subsidies to the nuclear industry, moderated the briefing.
Institute for Policy Studies (IPS-DC.org) is a community of public scholars and organizers linking peace, justice, and the environment in the U.S. and globally. We work with social movements to promote true democracy and challenge concentrated wealth, corporate influence, and military power.