This week in OtherWords, Marc Morial, Donald Kaul, and Terrance Heath weigh in on the acquittal of George Zimmerman — the man who killed Trayvon Martin — while Sam Pizzigati and Jill Richardson discuss why Americans live shorter lives than people in other rich countries.
Do you rely on our commentaries and cartoons to make sense of today’s mind-boggling news? Please make a donation on our website or mail a check payable to OtherWords to this address: Institute for Policy Studies; 1112 16th Street NW, Suite 600; Washington, DC 20036. Any amount you can spare will make a big difference.
And if you haven’t already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- Black Man 101 / Terrance Heath
Why must we now teach our sons to defer to all potential bigots who come their way?
- A Verdict that Condemns the State of Civil Rights in America / Marc Morial
I want to assure Trayvon’s parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, as well as millions of their supporters, that this isn’t over.
- Rays of Hope in Egypt / Ahmad Shokr
The army and the restive millions had different grievances when Morsi was ousted on June 30.
- Putting Government Waste on Auto-Pilot / Ryan Alexander
House Republicans snipped SNAP out of the Farm Bill and rubber-stamped farm subsidies in a stealth operation.
- There Ought to Be a Better Law / Donald Kaul
The Trayvon Martin verdict shows that with “Stand Your Ground” laws, it’s your word against theirs and they’re dead.
- What’s Driving America’s Flagging Vital Signs? / Sam Pizzigati
Inequality is behind the nation’s dismal life expectancy rates.
- Eat Well, Walk More, Live Longer / Jill Richardson
Americans die younger than citizens of most other rich countries.
- Exceptionally Mediocre on a Global Scale / Jim Hightower
America became great through deliberate and determined public investments in the common good, not hocus-pocus exceptionalism.
- The Roaring Twenties Are Back / William A. Collins
The U.S. economy is reverting to the bad old days.
- Zimmerman’s Smoking Gun / Khalil Bendib cartoon
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies. OtherWords.org