In this week’s OtherWords editorial package, Raul A. Reyes points out the dangers of “self-deportation,” Mitt Romney’s plan for resolving the nation’s immigration challenges, and Jason Salzman points out the pitfalls of the apparent GOP frontrunner’s aversion to speaking directly to the media. Get all this and more in your inbox by subscribing to our weekly newsletter. If you haven’t signed up yet, please do.
- Coal Smoke and Planetary Fever / Daphne Wysham
As the climate changes, a deadly disease is on the rise.
- Go Deport Yourself / Raul A. Reyes
Romney’s “self-deportation” policy is no joke.
- Dodging the Media on the Campaign Trail / Jason Salzman
Mitt Romney’s Colorado tour illustrates how shallow coverage becomes when candidates evade the scrutiny of real journalists.
- Legislating Under the Influence / David Elliot
Conservatives who want jobless Americans seeking unemployment benefits to submit to mandatory drug testing have a hidden motive.
- The Fight over Reproductive Rights / Donald Kaul
Liberals aren’t trying to make anyone use birth control
- Inside Rick Santorum’s Head / Jim Hightower
For him, the right to privacy doesn’t exist.
- Get Ready for War with Iran / William A. Collins
All this imperial conniving is giving the Republican presidential candidates, except the isolationist Ron Paul, plenty to yammer about.
- Pee for Food / Khalil Bendib