EVERY TWO WEEKS
   Please leave this field empty
Institute for Policy Studies
RSS Feeds
Photo of Salvatore Babones

Salvatore Babones
Associate Fellow
Inequality and the Common Good


Inequality and the Common Good

Salvatore Babones

Salvatore Babones is a senior lecturer in sociology and social policy at the University of Sydney and an associate fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS). He holds both a master's degree in statistics and a Ph.D. in sociology from the Johns Hopkins University. Before moving to Australia in 2008, he worked in financial risk management and taught sociology and statistics at several U.S. universities. His academic research focuses on income inequality, economic development, and statistical methods for comparative social science research. He writes a weekly column for the Inequality.org website and contributes to progressive websites and newsletters across America. Read about his upcoming book on the American economy, Benchmarking America, at BenchmarkingAmerica.com and visit his personal website, SalvatoreBabones.com. Dr. Babones welcomes e-mail and is always happy to contribute opinions and expertise to a good cause.

Recent Work

Blog
'Tis the Season to Shop at Tiffany's
December 24 - Retail sales are up in the top 1 percent's plutonomy, but down in the realonomy where the other 99 percent live.

Op-Ed
Chained COLAs and the Battle over Social Security
December 19 - The supercommittee shouldn't have considered this unreasonable, unprincipled, and unfair cost-cutting plan. Published in The Progressive Populist and The East Oregonian.

Blog
The Other 99 Percent: How the U.S. Compares
December 5 - The other 99 percent fare much worse in the United States than in any other developed country. Published in The (Stroudsburg, PA) Pocono Record and The Columbia Missourian.

Page Previous2345 • 6 • 7 Next