- "Viva Mandela, Viva!" on December 6, 2013
- President Obama's Words on Inequality Are "Not Enough," Say Experts at Institute for Policy Studies on December 5, 2013
- Climate Policy Expert Calls Lack of Money "Elephant in the Room" at Climate Finance Meeting on October 4, 2013
- Report from climate scientists confirms what climate justice advocates already know: The time to act is now on September 27, 2013
- 50th Anniversary of the Institute for Policy Studies features celebrities, workshops, gala, reunion, food, and dancing on September 23, 2013
Open Letter to Board Members of Green Climate Fund: "Don't Shut Us Out!"
March 12, 2013
BERLIN: Janet Redman, Institute for Policy Studies, Sustainable Energy & Economy Network, +1 508 340 0464, email@example.com
WASHINGTON DC: Lacy MacAuley, Institute for Policy Studies, +1 202 445 4692, firstname.lastname@example.org
Berlin, Germany – As the Green Climate Fund meets in Berlin, Germany, an open letter to the board members of the Fund was released today to urge meaningful civil society participation in the meetings on a governing instrument that will assist countries in climate adaptation, climate finance, and climate justice.
“Civil society has been given very little space to participate in the development of ideas that are being discussed at this meeting,” said Janet Redman, co-director of the Sustainable Energy & Economy Network at the Institute for Policy Studies. Redman is present as a registered civil society observer at the Green Climate Fund meetings. “What that says to us is that the board has no interest in transparency. It seems they don’t want people looking at their process, they want to have a closed conversation. That’s unacceptable.”
The Institute for Policy Studies, Sustainable Energy and Economy Network, is one of the 73 civil society organizations that have signed the letter.
VIEW THE OPEN LETTER HERE: http://www.ips-dc.org/articles/civil_society_to_green_climate_fund_dont_shut_us_out_GCF
VIEW AN INTERVIEW ON THE GREEN CLIMATE FUND WITH JANET REDMAN HERE: http://www.ips-dc.org/blog/interview_with_janet_redman_ips_on_the_green_climate_fund
# # #
Institute for Policy Studies (IPS-DC.org) is a community of public scholars and organizers linking peace, justice, and the environment in the United States and globally. We work with social movements to promote true democracy and challenge concentrated wealth, corporate influence, and military power.