- Activists in Boat Blocking Coal Ship at Brayton Point Coal Plant on May 15, 2013
- New Report: CEOs Pushing Austerity Enjoy Taxpayer-Subsidized Pay on May 2, 2013
- Civil Society and Entrepreneurs Call on World Bank to Clean Up Energy Lending on April 3, 2013
- New Report Shows True Cost of Inequality in Maryland on March 20, 2013
- New Report Exposes Extreme Disparity in the Social Security Debate on March 14, 2013
Media Advisory Poem: Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness Brings Poetry of the 99% to Nation's Capital
February 23, 2012
Washington DC –
Split This Rock is coming soon!
A poetry festival to make you swoon.
March twenty-second through twenty-fifth
Poems by and for the ninety-nine percent.
Alice Walker will perform
and make you glad that you were born,
and Homero Aridjis, of Spanish-language acclaim,
and Venus Thrash, of DC fame.
The Black Arts Movement’s Sonia Sanchez,
Spoken word superstar Carlos Andres Gomez,
Kathy Engel, Khaled Mattawa, Naomi Shihab Nye,
Jose Padua, Minnie Bruce Pratt, Sherwin Bitsui,
and many more will grace the stage,
to slam, to teach, to read from a page.
Over 60 events – check our website!
We got readings and panels and open mics.
“Come to listen, read, write, or gawk,”
said Sarah Browning, of Split This Rock.
“Like Occupy Wall Street and the Arab Spring,
poetry opens our eyes and lets us sing.”
Last time, 500 poets and friends
came from across the globe to attend.
Inequality, the environment, and political repression
will be explored through poetic expression.
So hurry and get your festival pass.
We got early-bird tickets, but they won’t last.
Head to the website if you want to learn more;
# # #