- International Coalition Supports El Salvador in Battle Against Canadian Mining Company on April 10, 2014
- New Study Debunks Mining Company "Falsehoods" Regarding El Salvador on March 18, 2014
- Harry Potter, Walking Dead Celebrities Team Up to Promote Wall Street Tax on February 18, 2014
- News on Mistreatment of Indian Diplomat Ignores Story of Domestic Worker Abuse, says expert at Institute for Policy Studies on December 18, 2013
- "Viva Mandela, Viva!" on December 6, 2013
"Idea Slam" Event Will Give a Chance to Air New Ideas to Change the World
August 20, 2013
- Celebrity judges include Danny Glover
- Winners of the Idea Slam, a poetry-slam-like event, will receive a $1000 cash prize and the “Ideas Into Action” Fellowship at the Institute for Policy Studies
Who: Danny Glover, Institute for Policy Studies, Contestants
What: Innovative Idea Slam Event
When: Sunday, October 13, 2013, 12 PM – 2 PM
Where: Liaison Hotel, 415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC
Washington DC – The Institute for Policy Studies will hold an Idea Slam competition as part of its 50th Anniversary Celebration and Reunion. Celebrity judges include Danny Glover. Contestants in the Idea Slam will respond to the questions: “Got an idea to change the world? How would you create positive change? Share an idea on inequality, climate change, poverty, education, peace, justice, or any other progressive issue – or an idea that brings them all together.”
“What our world needs right now is some great ideas – ideas to overcome the many challenges we face in our communities and in our world,” said Andy Shallal, artist, activist, owner and founder of Busboys and Poets, and board member of the Institute for Policy Studies. “Institute for Policy Studies has been a lightning rod for world-changing ideas since 1963. The Idea Slam will give us a chance to celebrate new ideas and put ideas into action.”
The Institute for Policy Studies will host its 50th Anniversary Celebration and Reunion highlighting bold, progressive social movements over the last five decades. From October 11th-13th, 2013, IPS will host a weekend of events in Washington, DC honoring activists and activism and envisioning a plan for a bold, progressive future. The 50th Anniversary Celebration will open dialog for activists to envision “The Next 50 Years” of our movements. All events will be intergenerational with an emphasis on the next generation of public scholars.
First, second, and third prizes will be awarded to contestants who present a fresh, edgy, innovative idea. Contestants will share their big ideas in front of a live audience of 300-600 people. They will be judged on the merits of their ideas as well as the creativity, viability, effectiveness, and impact of the idea.
The first place winner of the Idea Slam will be awarded the Ideas Into Action Fellowship at IPS, a one-year, unique, nominal fellowship designed to provide a platform for turning dreams into reality. The fellowship starts January 1, 2014.
# # #
The Institute for Policy Studies is a community of public scholars and organizers linking peace, justice, and the environment in the U.S. and globally. We work with social movements to promote true democracy and challenge concentrated wealth, corporate influence, and military power.