As a lead up to The Institute’s 50th birthday, on the 4th Wednesday of each month IPS will host a film series featuring eleven of the widely respected film productions of our colleague, Saul. After each screening participants will have the opportunity to discuss the films with distinguished guests.
Saul Landau, is an internationally-known scholar, author, commentator, and filmmaker on foreign and domestic policy issues. Landau’s most widely praised achievements are the over forty films he has produced on social, political and historical issues, and worldwide human rights, for which he won the Letelier-Moffitt Human Rights Award, the George Polk Award for Investigative Reporting, and the First Amendment Award, as well as an Emmy for Paul Jacobs and the Nuclear Gang.
Fidel provides a unique view of Cuba’s leader. In 1968, Castro took Landau on a weeklong jeep ride through the eastern mountains. There, he plays baseball with a group of peasants, visits his pre-school, and trades jokes with a 98 year old man. Fidel also listens to people complaining about food distribution, bad roads and transportation. Landau captures Cuba’s revolutionary chief early in the morning in his tent. The camera zooms in on his dirty fingernails, and delicate fingers holding his trademark cigar while he tells a story of Simon Bolivar and offers tactical advice to guerilla warriors throughout the Third World. The film contains fascinating archive footage of the Bay of Pigs invasion and scenes of Che Guevara- alongside interviews with political prisoners.
These screenings are free and open to the public but a suggested $5 donation will be appreciated. Popcorn and beverages will be provided. Please note: The location for any particular screening may vary. Please let us know you’re coming by sending an RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Films in the Series:
- March 28 – Fidel (1969)
- April 25 – Que Hacer/What Is To Be Done? (1971)
- May 23 – Who Shot Alexander Hamilton (1974)
- June 27- .A Song for Dead Warriors (1974)
- July 25 – The CIA Case Officer (1975)
- August 22 – Paul Jacobs and the Nuclear Gang (1980)
- September 26 – The Uncompromising Revolution (1988)
- October 24 –The Sixth Sun: Mayan Uprising in Chiapas (1997)
- November 28 – WE DON’T PLAY GOLF HERE and other stories of globalization (2007)
- January 23, 2013 – Will the Real Terrorist Please Stand Up (2011)