Date & Time
October 11, 2013
7:30 pm to 9:00 pm
Liaison Hotel Metropolitan Ballroom
415 New Jersey Avenue NW
Washington, DC, USA
Ideas Into Action Festival - Welcome Plenary
The future of the progressive movement(s) at IPS 50th Anniversary Celebration.
For 50 years, IPS has helped bring progressives together around bold ideas. What issues are defining progressive movements as we move into the next 50 years? This discussion will kick off efforts to chart a path to transformative change led by new generations of progressive leaders. May Boeve and Ai-Jen Poo will share lessons they've learned in their dynamic campaigns to unleash a movement to divest from fossil fuels and win rights for low-wage workers. Jamie Raskin will discuss a string of new victories in Maryland and Barbara Ehrenreich and Robert Greenstein will examine new ways to be rethink poverty and tackle inequality.
- May Boeve, Executive Director and Co-Founder, 350.org
- Ai-jen Poo, Director, National Domestic Workers Alliance
- Jamin "Jamie" Raskin, Maryland State Senator (D-Montgomery County)
- Barbara Ehrenreich, IPS trustee and best-selling author
- Robert Greenstein, Founder and President, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Moderator: John Cavanagh, Director, Institute for Policy Studies.