A few well-written words can convey a wealth of information, particularly when there is no lag time between when they are written and when they are read. The IPS blog gives you an opportunity to hear directly from IPS scholars and staff on ideas large and small and for us to hear back from you.
- Cold War
- pentagon budget
- Vladimir Putin
- President Barack Obama
- renewable energy
- Afghanistan withdrawal
- minimum wage
- Sustainable Energy
- World Bank
- syria civil war
- Iraq War
- National Restaurant Association
Baltimore Nonviolence Center
Barbara's Blog, by Barbara Ehrenreich
Blog This Rock
Busboys and Poets Blog
CODEPINK's Pink Tank
Demos blog: Ideas|Action
Dollars and Sense blog
Economic Policy Institute
Editor's Cut: The Nation Blog
FOE International blog
Kevin Drum (Mother Jones)
The New America Media blogs
Political Animal/Washington Monthly
Southern Poverty Law Center
US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation
Entries since April 2013Page Previous 1 • 2 • 3
April 3, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
This week in OtherWords, we're running a Tax Day special edition. Sam Paltrow-Krulwich talks about the "gay tax" her family must pay until the nation fully embraces marriage equality, Scott Klinger highlights the declining share of tax revenue that American corporations contribute, and Gerald Scorse calls for parity between the taxes on income from wealth and work.
Speaking of taxes, here's a friendly reminder: OtherWords is a free and non-profit editorial service funded by tax-deductible donations from people like you. Please consider making one today.
Here’s a clickable summary of our latest commentaries and a link to our new cartoon. If you haven't already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- Transplanting Taxes from Corporations to the Rest of Us / Scott Klinger
American taxpayers are increasingly picking up the tab for unpaid corporate taxes.
- The Gay Tax / Sam Paltrow-Krulwich
Marriage equality is about civil rights — and tax justice.
- Futile Military Financing / Chris Toensing
Almost all the $3.1 billion in yearly U.S. aid to Israel is now slated for weapons.
- New Health Care Taxes: A Poor Prescription / Gerald Scorse
Hitting the rich on Medicare blurs the case for a major tax reform.
- We’re Watching a Great Depression Re-Run / Donald Kaul
Virtually everything about the economic catastrophe of the 1930s has a precise parallel in today's major political dilemmas.
- A Wall Street Powerhouse Attorney Talks Sense / Sam Pizzigati
Taxes can do more than simply raise revenue.
- A Recipe for a Sounder Diet / Jill Richardson
There are ways to make healthy food affordable that don't require abusing farmworkers.
- Fracking Free Speech / Jim Hightower
The gagged townspeople of Sanford, New York are suing their town board over the infringement of their First Amendment rights.
- Under-Taxing the Rich Is Uncivilized / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins We all pay for those cuts down the road.
- Taxing Economics / Khalil Bendib Cartoon