This Week in OtherWords: September 11, 2013
September 11, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Peter Certo likens the situation in Syria to a "landmine."
This week in OtherWords, Peter Certo likens the situation in Syria to a "landmine" and Jim Hightower celebrates a campaign that wants extreme weather events named after the politicians who refuse to recognize or do anything about man-made climate change.
Do you want to make sure you don't miss the latest from OtherWords? Then subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. Do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please make a tax-deductible donation today to keep this valuable service running.
- The Off-the-Cuff Breakthrough on Syria / Peter Certo
Moscow has no more interest than Washington in escalating this war.
- A Trumped-Up War on Welfare / Bob Lord
One way the top 1 percent is trying to ease concerns about inequality is pretending that our safety net is too generous to the bottom 1 percent.
- The Russian-American Beat Must Go On / John Isaacs
Snowden's asylum and Russia's abysmal LGBT policies shouldn't get in the way of sensible bilateral nuclear disarmament efforts.
- Confessions of a Repentant War of 1812 Reenactor / Arnold Oliver
War is an ugly business, and should be remembered that way.
- The Legacy of 9/11 / Donald Kaul
Twelve years after the 9/11 terrorist attacks we're no safer but more of a police state.
- Danger Ahead: Our Disappearing Pensions / Sam Pizzigati
The vaunted 401(k) revolution has left few Americans with a nest egg.
- The USDA’s Reckless Plan / Jill Richardson
The government intends to spread a failed pilot program that decreased food safety to every hog plant in the nation.
- Naming the Names behind Extreme Weather / Jim Hightower
How about making scientifically challenged politicians accountable for their inaction on climate change?
- Haiti’s Hard Place / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Foreign-funded mining operations may not be enough to alleviate the scourges of cholera, displaced people, and corrupt leaders.
- Weather Extremists / Khalil Bendib
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies. OtherWords.org
- Six of the Top Ten U.S. Billionaires Are Kochs and Waltons
November 25, 2013
- What's Hot and What's Not at COP19 in Warsaw
November 22, 2013
- Corporate Capture in Warsaw: The 'New Normal' in the Disaster Zone
November 18, 2013
- If You Can 'Speak' with Your Money, Then Why Is Asking For Money Illegal?
November 18, 2013