This Week in OtherWords: September 10-16, 2012
September 10, 2012 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
OtherWords is running a debut column by Katie Halper, our new guest columnist.
This week, OtherWords is running a debut column by Katie Halper, our new guest columnist. Katie, a young writer who is also a stand-up comedian, has shared an “unedited” (that is, a painfully honest and entertaining) draft of Ann Romney’s speech with our readers.
Thanks to all the newspaper editors who are now running Sam Pizzigati’s column — this week he unpacks the shortcomings of the growing business of teaching K-12 public school kids online through for-profit enterprises. As always, I encourage you to subscribe to our weekly newsletter and visit our blog. If you haven't signed up yet, please do.
- A Glimmer of Military Budget Sanity / Miriam Pemberton and Gabriel I. Rossman
Even House Republicans can't stomach spending $17,000 on a helicopter drip pan.
- Illegal Interns / Eric Glatt
Unpaid internships have metastasized into a labor market scourge.
- We Won the War on Poverty, then Lost the Peace / Salvatore Babones
If America could eliminate most serious poverty in the United States in the 1960s, surely we could do the same today.
- The Drought Lottery / Ryan Alexander
Our lawmakers should spend the next month figuring out how to reduce our $16 trillion debt instead of showering special interests with even more wasteful subsidies that have nothing to do with the drought.
- Virtually, Anything Goes with Online Education / Sam Pizzigati
State officials are allowing tax dollars to underwrite K-12 virtual disasters.
- Ann Romney's Unedited Convention Speech Leaked / Katie Halper
Sometimes the elevator for our cars takes an inordinate amount of time.
- Radioactive Ties / Jim Hightower
Whether corporate political money shouts or whispers, it still corrupts.
- Just Another Corporate Profit Center / William A. Collins
Americans who want to know what caused Haiti's devastation need to look in the mirror.
- Military Pork Shield / Khalil Bendib (Cartoon)
- World Bank Energy Lending Still Veering in Wrong Direction
April 11, 2014
- Talking Points: Tensions Rising, Wars Escalating, Occupations Expanding
April 4, 2014
- White House Says Raising Tipped Wage Helps Women
March 27, 2014
- The Budget Wars: The Congressional Progressive Caucus is Ready for Paul Ryan
March 12, 2014