This Week in OtherWords: November 28, 2012
November 28, 2012 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Scott Klinger points out that the CEOs promoting Social Security cuts have vast pensions.
This week, OtherWords is running three commentaries that highlight electoral milestones: African-American turnout reached record levels, marijuana-legalization ballot initiatives passed in Washington State and Colorado, and voters in a small Ohio town approved a measure declaring that "corporations are not people and money is not speech."
We're also distributing an op-ed by Scott Klinger, who points out that the CEOs promoting Social Security cuts have vast pensions and that American businesses have gutted their pension funds. The erosion of the nation's private pension system makes this earned-benefit program more essential than ever.
And Sam Pizzigati's latest column highlights his new book: The Rich Don't Always Win. Please let me know if you would like a review copy.
- A Pension Deficit Disorder / Scott Klinger
Beware of wealthy CEOs who are lecturing the rest of us about tightening our belts.
- The New Normal for African-American Voter Turnout / Leslie Watson Malachi
As election law changes threatened access to the ballot box this year, African-American turnout operations strengthened.
- Washington and Colorado Voters Opt for a Smarter Drug Policy / Austin Robles
Treating drug use as a criminal act rather than a health problem has harmed our society.
- To Move Forward, We Must Learn from Our Progressive Past / Sam Pizzigati
Yesterday's ideas about curbing the ultra-rich's power remain just as relevant as ever.
- Shortchanging Our Future / Mattea Kramer
Lawmakers have long underinvested in young people, and sequestration would make matters even worse.
- Democracy Outbreak in Ohio / Jim Hightower
One small town is standing up to deep-pocketed campaign cash.
- The Sleazy League / William A. Collins
The dark side of corporate-run schools is no longer a secret.
- The Ant and the Grasshopper / Khalil Bendib cartoon
- A Devil's Bargain on the Climate
February 24, 2014
- Celebrities, European Leaders Push for Final Deal on Wall Street Tax
February 19, 2014
- 7 Things to Look Out for in the UN's Green Climate Fund
February 13, 2014
- Talking Points: State of the Union, of War, of the Middle East
February 10, 2014