This Week in OtherWords: November 21, 2012
November 21, 2012 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Guest columnist Mattea Kramer makes the case for deep, yet targeted military spending cuts.
This week, OtherWords is running two "fiscal cliff" commentaries. Guest columnist Mattea Kramer makes the case for deep, yet targeted military spending cuts while Marian Wright Edelman calls for restraint when it comes to scaling back programs that serve children. We will continue to feature under-debated angles of the growing conversation about how to balance the nation's budget and avoid what could prove a "fiscal swindle."
Scroll down to see all our offerings. I encourage you to visit the OtherWords blog, where we are running a special Thanksgiving post from Jim Hightower. And please subscribe to our weekly newsletter if you haven't signed up yet.
- Name that Foreign Policy Legacy / John Feffer
Under Obama's leadership, Washington is finally coming to terms with the world's multipolarity.
- Will the Supreme Court Dismantle the Voting Rights Act? / Raul A. Reyes
Widespread efforts to suppress voting by people of color and the poor through a rash of voter ID laws make it clear that we still need the landmark 1965 legislation today.
- Don't Cut Our Kids Out of the Budget / Marian Wright Edelman
America's security and prosperity depend on our children's ability to drive the economy of the future.
- The Classy Election of 2012 / Steve Cobble
Big ideas can change voting patterns.
- Another Side of Inequality / Sam Pizzigati
A vast gulf between the rich and the rest of us is incompatible with democracy.
- The Real Problem with Military Spending / Mattea Kramer
The Pentagon's budget has plenty of fat, but cuts need to be targeted.
- Bosses Gone Berserk / Jim Hightower
Papa John's and other employers are punishing their workers for Obama's win.
- Our Endless State of War / William A. Collins
As long as it's fought by other people on someone else's soil, Americans can live with perpetual conflict.
- Voting Rights Appeal / Khalil Bendib Cartoon
- World Bank Energy Lending Still Veering in Wrong Direction
April 11, 2014
- Talking Points: Tensions Rising, Wars Escalating, Occupations Expanding
April 4, 2014
- White House Says Raising Tipped Wage Helps Women
March 27, 2014
- The Budget Wars: The Congressional Progressive Caucus is Ready for Paul Ryan
March 12, 2014