This Week in OtherWords: May 8, 2013
May 8, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Jim Hightower weighs in on the larger context behind the recent garment worker tragedy in Bangladesh.
This week in OtherWords, Jason Salzman makes the case against the Koch brothers’ potential purchase of the Los Angeles Times and other Tribune Media newspapers while Jim Hightower weighs in on the larger context behind the recent garment worker tragedy in Bangladesh.
Here’s a clickable summary of all our latest commentaries and a link to our new cartoon. If you haven’t already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- Turning Journalism into a Joke / Jason Salzman
Obama’s serious comments about the value of journalism stand out as the Koch brothers consider buying the Los Angeles Times.
- Ohio’s Poorly Performing School Assessment / Chris Schillig
Test scores don’t tell the whole story.
- Fighting the Foodopoly / Wenonah Hauter
Only four gigantic companies process 80 percent of the beef we eat.
- Middle Eastern Re-Run / Donald Kaul
Unless you have something better that can replace a brutal regime like Assad’s government in Syria, what can you accomplish with military intervention?
- How We Pay for CEO ‘Performance’ / Sam Pizzigati
A gaping tax loophole pads executive pay and the federal debt.
- Hollow Bee Hives May Threaten Our Lives Too / Jill Richardson
The United States should follow Europe’s example and ban pesticides that may be wiping out these key pollinators.
- Fashion Victims / Jim Hightower
The gravitational pull of corporate greed makes clothing factories prone to disasters like the recent tragedy in Bangladesh.
- Our Stake in Guatemala’s Genocide Trial / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Thirty years after Ríos Montt’s atrocities, U.S. military policy in Latin America remains a human rights disaster.
- Made in Bangladesh / Khalil Bendib cartoon
- World Bank Energy Lending Still Veering in Wrong Direction
April 11, 2014
- Talking Points: Tensions Rising, Wars Escalating, Occupations Expanding
April 4, 2014
- White House Says Raising Tipped Wage Helps Women
March 27, 2014
- The Budget Wars: The Congressional Progressive Caucus is Ready for Paul Ryan
March 12, 2014