This Week in OtherWords: May 29, 2013
May 29, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Bob Lord points to the larger story behind Apple's outrageous-without-being-illegal tax record.
This week in OtherWords, Bob Lord points to the larger story behind Apple's outrageous-without-being-illegal tax record and Jess Hunter-Bowman notes that Latin America is leading the way toward a more rational drug policy.
Here's a clickable summary of all our latest commentaries and a link to our new cartoon. As always, these materials are available for use at no charge in newspapers and new media under a Creative Commons license. Editors may find information about that on our website or contact me with any questions at OtherWords[ AT ]ips-dc.org.
If you haven't already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- Charting a New Course on Illegal Drugs / Jess Hunter-Bowman
After 40 years of failing to stem the drug trade, there's a global conversation about new approaches.
- The Irish Tax Blight / Bob Lord
Apple has illuminated how corporations can easily avoid taxation as our economy becomes more global.
- How to Help Syria Now / Chris Toensing
Washington should step up diplomacy and humanitarian aid rather than taking a more belligerent stance.
- Oklahoma’s Biblical Irony / Donald Kaul
Sen. Coburn's underlying logic goes to the heart of the snake oil that Republicans are selling the American people these days.
- These Hedges Need Trimming / Sam Pizzigati
Are hedge funds a financial service or a racket?
- How I Fell for Farmers’ Markets / Jill Richardson
Eaters everywhere across America are discovering the joy of buying directly from local farmers.
- The New Face of Poverty in America / Jim Hightower
The suburbs have become the fastest-growing home of American poverty.
- Neglecting Mother Nature / William A. Collins
There's no clear sense of urgency regarding the environment in the United States today.
- Oklahoma’s Silly Goose / Khalil Bendib cartoon
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies OtherWords.org
- World Bank Energy Lending Still Veering in Wrong Direction
April 11, 2014
- Talking Points: Tensions Rising, Wars Escalating, Occupations Expanding
April 4, 2014
- White House Says Raising Tipped Wage Helps Women
March 27, 2014
- The Budget Wars: The Congressional Progressive Caucus is Ready for Paul Ryan
March 12, 2014