This Week in OtherWords: May 22, 2013
May 22, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Martha Burk weighs in on the military's lackluster efforts to stop sexual assaults within the ranks.
This week in OtherWords, Martha Burk weighs in on the military's lackluster efforts to stop sexual assaults within the ranks and Donald Kaul reviews the Obama administration's outbreak of scandals.
Here's a clickable summary of all our latest commentaries and a link to our new cartoon. We're also featuring Jim Hightower's take on Budweiser's latest marketing maneuver on our blog.
If you haven't already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- Our Women in Uniform Deserve Better / Martha Burk
The Pentagon has a systemic problem with foxes guarding henhouses when it comes to doing battle with the military's sexual assault problem.
- With Americans Moving Forward on Gay Rights, Why Won’t the GOP? / Drew Courtney
Congress will soon debate something the rest of America decided years ago: whether or not it’s okay to fire people for being gay.
- Faking Farm Savings / Ryan Alexander
It's a time-honored tradition in Washington to do as little as possible and look good while (not) doing it.
- Scandal Season at the Obama White House / Donald Kaul
If Karl Rove is running a social welfare outfit, I'm the Queen of Romania.
- Money Still Can’t Buy Happiness / Sam Pizzigati
And we finally have a nation that's taking that reality to heart.
- Censoring Our Food / Jill Richardson
If farms and slaughterhouses are rife with repulsive and sadistic abuses, why should we pass laws to help hide it?
- The New Crime of Eating While Homeless / Jim Hightower
By outlawing dumpster diving, Houston is making life impossible for the most vulnerable.
- Cannon Fodder, 21st Century-Style / William A. Collins
If the IEDs, PTSD, and risk of sexual assault don't get you, the disillusionment will.
- The Pentagon’s Assault Guidelines / Khalil Bendib cartoon
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies OtherWords.org
- Six of the Top Ten U.S. Billionaires Are Kochs and Waltons
November 25, 2013
- What's Hot and What's Not at COP19 in Warsaw
November 22, 2013
- Corporate Capture in Warsaw: The 'New Normal' in the Disaster Zone
November 18, 2013
- If You Can 'Speak' with Your Money, Then Why Is Asking For Money Illegal?
November 18, 2013