This Week in OtherWords: January 30, 2013
January 30, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
We're mixing food and politics.
This week in OtherWords, we’re mixing food and politics. Wenonah Hauter skewers the government’s lackadaisical regulation of genetically engineered salmon, Jill Richardson calls for a fresh outlook on the relationship between weight and health, Jim Harkness asks whether the Farm Bill has met its demise, and Jim Hightower urges cubicle captives to stop using their keyboards as lunch trays. Donald Kaul, William A. Collins, Alana Baum, and I discuss Obama’s inauguration from different angles.
Below you’ll find links to our latest work. If you haven’t already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- The End of the Farm Bill? / Jim Harkness
We must build a new policy framework for a fair, sustainable, and healthy food system.
- Don’t Put a Fork in It / Wenonah Hauter
Despite consumer opposition, the FDA is one step away from approving genetically engineered salmon.
- Dumped by Time Warner Cable / Josh Stearns
The story of independent voices struggling to gain a place in our media system is all too common.
- Why I’m Singing the Inauguration Blues / Alana Baum
Like Paul Ryan and Henry Marsh, I had a bad day on the mall.
- Obama’s Battle Hymn of the Republic / Donald Kaul
When he tried conciliation, all he got from the Republicans was implacable hostility, unyielding obstructionism, and insults.
- Hogging the Global Pie / Sam Pizzigati
The richest 100 people in the world are earning much more than enough to end the world’s worst poverty.
- Fat Demons / Jill Richardson
There are no shortcuts to health.
- Step Away from That Desk / Jim Hightower
Don’t let your boss steal your lunch break.
- Uttering the G Word / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Conservatives will miss gay-bashing as an electoral strategy.
- Fishy Genes / Khalil Bendib cartoon
- World Bank Energy Lending Still Veering in Wrong Direction
April 11, 2014
- Talking Points: Tensions Rising, Wars Escalating, Occupations Expanding
April 4, 2014
- White House Says Raising Tipped Wage Helps Women
March 27, 2014
- The Budget Wars: The Congressional Progressive Caucus is Ready for Paul Ryan
March 12, 2014