This Week in OtherWords: January 16, 2013
January 16, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Jill Richardson says that Beyonce's high-profile association with Pepsi makes her unfit as a role model for Michelle Obama's Let's Move campaign.
This week in OtherWords, Jill Richardson says that Beyoncé's high-profile association with Pepsi makes her unfit as a role model for Michelle Obama's Let's Move campaign and Andrew Korfhage calls on President Obama to stop the Keystone XL pipeline. Donald Kaul explains why he thinks that Chuck Hagel would make a good Pentagon chief and Sarita Gupta praises Hilda Solis's performance as Labor Secretary.
- Filling Solis’s Shoes Won’t Be Easy / Sarita Gupta
Obama's first labor secretary has been a watchdog for workers.
- A Key Proposal for the Administration’s Second Term / Andrew Korfhage
It's up to Obama to stop the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline.
- What Happened to the Violence Against Women Act? / Leslie Watson Malachi
Republican efforts to prevent expanded protections for these at-risk groups made all women lose important protections.
- The Real Obama Emerges Again / Jill Stein
Thanks to the budget deal, Obama's second term is starting with more of the same disappointments.
- We Don’t Need a Secretary of Militarism / Donald Kaul
Chuck Hagel proved to be an intelligent, reasonable man with a reputation for honesty in the Senate, and these days that qualifies for sainthood.
- Making the Tax Code Safe for America’s Aristocracy / Sam Pizzigati
Tax-free gifts are solidifying the nation's financial dynasties.
- Beyoncé’s Not-so-Super Move / Jill Richardson
Our president and first lady ought to reconsider their relationship with the popular singer now that she's becoming the face of PepsiCo.
- Why does a university need a Chief Marketing Officer? / Jim Hightower
"Let there be money" is the new academic aspiration.
- Giving Away the Store / William A. Collins
The whole business of giving tax breaks to businesses to lure them to a particular place is largely a scam.
- Tar Sands Illustrated / Khalil Bendib Cartoon
- Six of the Top Ten U.S. Billionaires Are Kochs and Waltons
November 25, 2013
- What's Hot and What's Not at COP19 in Warsaw
November 22, 2013
- Corporate Capture in Warsaw: The 'New Normal' in the Disaster Zone
November 18, 2013
- If You Can 'Speak' with Your Money, Then Why Is Asking For Money Illegal?
November 18, 2013