This Week in OtherWords: February 27, 2013
February 27, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Jo Comerford likens the imminent across-the-board budget cuts to a truck careening toward a brick wall.
This week in OtherWords, Jo Comerford likens the imminent across-the-board budget cuts to a truck careening toward a brick wall and Jill Richardson explains what’s wrong with an ingredient found in most liquid soaps that Americans use.
Below you’ll find links to our latest work. If you haven’t already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- A Global Spotlight on Voter Suppression / Ron Carver
Heinous schemes to limit the right to vote keep appearing in state legislatures.
- We’ve Got to Get Out of That Place / Usha Sahay and John Isaacs
Rather than prolonging the quagmire in Afghanistan, Obama should take this opportunity to finally to honor his commitment to bring our troops home.
- Why Use a Bludgeon When a Calculator Will Do? / Jo Comerford
Some lawmakers have an almost-mythical resistance to raising revenue at a moment when affluent individuals and big corporations have the lowest tax burden in more than half a century.
- Give the Post Office a Break / Donald Kaul
If the Postal Service were run like Congress, postal workers would only show up on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays — except when they were on vacation, which would be a lot.
- A Triumph of Sewage and Stench / Sam Pizzigati
It takes more than a nice cruise ship buffet to make a billionaire.
- We’re All Guinea Pigs / Jill Richardson
I don’t want to expose the most precious people in my life to an endocrine disruptor.
- The Organized Sports Racket / Jim Hightower
Big sports teams toss unwise investments to taxpayers and let them fumble.
- What Post-Racial America? / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
It will take more than President Barack Obama’s tenure to vanquish American prejudice and racial injustice.
- Declaring Victory in Afghanistan / Khalil Bendib cartoon
- Six of the Top Ten U.S. Billionaires Are Kochs and Waltons
November 25, 2013
- What's Hot and What's Not at COP19 in Warsaw
November 22, 2013
- Corporate Capture in Warsaw: The 'New Normal' in the Disaster Zone
November 18, 2013
- If You Can 'Speak' with Your Money, Then Why Is Asking For Money Illegal?
November 18, 2013