This Week in OtherWords: February 13, 2013
February 13, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
John Cavanagh explains why President Obama's State of the Union address falls short.
This week in OtherWords, John Cavanagh explains why President Obama's State of the Union address falls short, Ben Freeman says that scaling back the Pentagon's budget isn't just for progressives any more, and Donald Kaul skewers the latest Republican antics.
Please be sure to visit our blog. We've got a bonus commentary by Jim Hightower regarding the hilariously lavish (except that we taxpayers have to foot the bill) bathroom renovation ordered by George W. Bush's Secretary of the Interior. And Alana Baum's post about V-Day — a global movement to stop violence against women. Plus reflections by Rabbi Leila Gal Berner on the arrest of Sarah Silverman's sister in Jerusalem for wearing a prayer shawl and worshiping at the Western Wall.
Below you'll find links to our latest work. If you haven't already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- No Game-Changer / John Cavanagh
Obama's State of the Union address nudged the debate in the right direction, but not far enough.
- Mission Essential / Ben Freeman
Pentagon pork is too easy to push through Congress.
- It’s Time to Move Forward on Climate / Michael Brune
President Obama has the power to make the transformation to a clean-energy economy.
- What about Gun Control Abroad? / Riahl O’Malley
The killing of four Hondurans by local police backed by DEA agents highlights the gruesome effects of our militarized War on Drugs.
- Bulwark of Ignorance / Donald Kaul
Republicans are calling for a "compromise" as they gear up for another knock-down-drag-out fight.
- A More Down-to-Earth CEO Pay Plan / Sam Pizzigati
Tree-huggers and power suits are finding some surprising common ground.
- Another Side of the Immigration Debate / Jill Richardson
We reap the benefits of cheap farm and meatpacking labor in the form of low-priced food, thanks to the contributions of millions of undocumented workers.
- Retail Injustice / Jim Hightower
Most big retail chains treat their employees as nothing but a drain on profits.
- Betting on Gambling / William A. Collins
Rather than treating the growing addiction to gambling, the states prey on it.
- Federal Budget Buster’s Last Stand / Khalil Bendib cartoon
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies OtherWords.org
- A Devil's Bargain on the Climate
February 24, 2014
- Celebrities, European Leaders Push for Final Deal on Wall Street Tax
February 19, 2014
- 7 Things to Look Out for in the UN's Green Climate Fund
February 13, 2014
- Talking Points: State of the Union, of War, of the Middle East
February 10, 2014