This Week in OtherWords: August 7, 2013
August 7, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Sanjay Jolly describes the promising opportunities that a new wave of low-power FM stations will soon create.
This week in OtherWords, Sanjay Jolly describes the promising opportunities that a new wave of low-power FM stations will soon create, Jill Stein explains why she gave Bradley Manning a "presidential pardon," and William A. Collins and I put the rash of newspaper purchases by billionaires into perspective.
Do you want to make sure you don't miss the latest from OtherWords? Then subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. Do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please consider making a tax-deductible donation today to keep this valuable service running.
- A Chance to Start Listening Locally / Sanjay Jolly
Low-power FM radio levels the playing field of ideas and culture.
- Higher Education’s Complicity in the Trayvon Martin Tragedy / William B. Harvey
Universities need to lead the way toward the national conversation on race we clearly need.
- Why I Granted Bradley Manning a Presidential Pardon / Jill Stein
He was defending the highest principles of democracy by exposing U.S. war crimes and State Department deception.
- By George, You Don’t Get It / Donald Kaul
Detroit was a one-industry company town run by executives who forgot how to make cars people wanted to buy.
- Blowing the Whistle on Philanthropy / Sam Pizzigati
A scion of one of America's top fortunes has just exposed our "charitable-industrial complex."
- Coke’s Green Lipstick / Jill Richardson
The only truly green thing about a new kind of Coke is the color of its label.
- The Border-Industrial Complex / Jim Hightower
War profiteers have spied a new place they can militarize with their high-tech, high-cost weaponry.
- Unfit to Print / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Suddenly, all self-respecting billionaires need to own at least one newspaper.
- Aiding the Enemy / Khalil Bendib cartoon
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies. OtherWords.org
- World Bank Energy Lending Still Veering in Wrong Direction
April 11, 2014
- Talking Points: Tensions Rising, Wars Escalating, Occupations Expanding
April 4, 2014
- White House Says Raising Tipped Wage Helps Women
March 27, 2014
- The Budget Wars: The Congressional Progressive Caucus is Ready for Paul Ryan
March 12, 2014