This Week in OtherWords: August 28, 2013
August 28, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Sam Pizzigati and Emily Swift unpack the shocking findings from the 20th yearly edition of the Executive Excess report on runaway CEO.
This week in OtherWords, Sam Pizzigati and Emily Swift unpack the shocking findings from the 20th yearly edition of the Executive Excess report on runaway CEO pay from the Institute for Policy Studies. I also encourage you to read the full report, which my IPS colleagues are releasing today.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Then subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. Do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please make a tax-deductible donation to keep this valuable service running.
- The Men’s Club / Emily Swift
Just 1 percent of America’s top-paid CEOs are women.
- Where Are the Women? / Amy Kroin
Even with Jill Abramson at the editorial helm, men still dominate The New York Times.
- America the Wild and Beautiful / Dan Ritzman
We must protect our wilderness areas for future generations.
- Mexican Food for Thought / Chris Schillig
Our nation has a long way to fall before we reach Mexico’s level of impoverishment, but some of our lawmakers appear willing to get there faster.
- Nelson Mandela’s Distinction / Donald Kaul
In forgiving his enemies, he achieved true greatness.
- Paying for Poor Performance / Sam Pizzigati
Over the past two decades, the myth of CEOs earning their runaway pay packages has grown into the ultimate scam.
- Back to School Lunch / Jill Richardson
Hungry and poorly nourished kids don’t learn very well.
- Razing the Garden of Eden / Jim Hightower
A Texas police operation resorted to paramilitary force in its fruitless search for pot plants.
- Don’t Embarrass Authority / William A. Collins
Revealing the wrongdoing of the powerful is a core task in sustaining a functioning democracy.
- Heads They Win, Tails We Lose / Khalil Bendib cartoon
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies. OtherWords.org
- World Bank Energy Lending Still Veering in Wrong Direction
April 11, 2014
- Talking Points: Tensions Rising, Wars Escalating, Occupations Expanding
April 4, 2014
- White House Says Raising Tipped Wage Helps Women
March 27, 2014
- The Budget Wars: The Congressional Progressive Caucus is Ready for Paul Ryan
March 12, 2014