This Week in OtherWords: April 24, 2013
April 24, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Jill Richardson looks at the Texas factory explosion in the context of whether we should be using so much nitrogen fertilizer in the first place.
This week in OtherWords, Jill Richardson looks at the Texas factory explosion in the context of whether we should be using so much nitrogen fertilizer in the first place and William A. Collins and I review recent progress toward ending the prohibition on pot.
Here's a clickable summary of our latest commentaries and a link to our new cartoon. If you haven't already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- A Reasonable Food Fight / Ryan Alexander
President Obama's efforts to overhaul the nation's global food aid system are sensible.
- Our Biggest Terrorist Threat / Marc Morial
Senate inaction on guns was inexcusable in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing.
- Shameless Bipartisanship / Richard Long
Two once-prominent politicians who disgraced themselves in sex scandals are angling for a return to public life.
- Saber-Rattling on the Korean Peninsula / Justin Bresolin
Aggressive posturing only increases the likelihood of a dangerous miscalculation.
- Stopping the Senseless Carnage / Donald Kaul
Could we just cut back on warfare a little?
- Tracking CEO Pay / Sam Pizzigati
The most important executive compensation indicator is the gap between what CEOs and their workers are paid.
- The Price of Our Fertilizer Addiction / Jill Richardson
Compared to the lifetime of grieving ahead for the people of West, Texas, a few years of reduced crop yields is a small price to pay for converting from "conventional" to organic farming.
- Making Poverty a Crime / Jim Hightower
Jailing indigents for debts costs the courts way more than the fines they owe and violates the Constitution.
- The Pot Prohibition Runs Its Course / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Now that most Americans support the legalization of marijuana, some Republicans back the right of states to stop banning it.
- Holy Smokes / Khalil Bendib
- World Bank Energy Lending Still Veering in Wrong Direction
April 11, 2014
- Talking Points: Tensions Rising, Wars Escalating, Occupations Expanding
April 4, 2014
- White House Says Raising Tipped Wage Helps Women
March 27, 2014
- The Budget Wars: The Congressional Progressive Caucus is Ready for Paul Ryan
March 12, 2014