This Week in OtherWords: After the Superstorm
November 7, 2012 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
OtherWords is taking stock of the many ways in which Sandy may prove a teachable moment.
As authorities in the Northeast order new evacuations and the airlines cancel hundreds of flights in anticipation of another fierce storm, OtherWords is taking stock of the many ways in which Sandy may prove a teachable moment.
Daphne Wysham and John Talberth show how this latest bout of extreme weather exposes the shortcomings of relying on GDP to measure economic progress. William A. Collins, one of the 8.5 million people who lost power last week, asks whether Mother Nature was disciplining Wall Street for its dirty-energy finance. Michael Brune, who grew up in one of New Jersey's hardest-hit towns, calls for bigger investments in clean energy. Ryan Alexander calls for a more responsible approach to the nation's flood insurance system. And Khalil Bendib's cartoon can accompany any of these commentaries.
- How Sandy Reveals the GDP's Twisted Logic / John Talberth and Daphne Wysham
Extreme weather doesn't boost the economy.
- Hurricane Sandy's Wakeup Call / Michael Brune
Sandy is only the latest and most devastating incident in a pattern of extreme weather that's become impossible to ignore.
- Social Security: It Ain't Broke / Elizabeth Rose
It's a basic part of what makes America run, like our national highway system.
- Rebuilding Resilience / Ryan Alexander
We have to stop subsidizing people to live in harm's way.
- The Invisible Hand Won't Stop Inequality in Its Tracks / Sam Pizzigati
We'll have more economic and climate disasters on Sandy's scale unless our political systems intervene.
- Why the Chicken Crossed the Road / Jim Hightower
Factory farms are animal concentration camps.
- Shivering in the Land of Climate Denial / William A. Collins
If Wall Street doesn't get Mother Nature's hint, it will become the entire world's tragedy.
- Sandy Trumps Romney's Climate Joke / Khalil Bendib Cartoon
- Six of the Top Ten U.S. Billionaires Are Kochs and Waltons
November 25, 2013
- What's Hot and What's Not at COP19 in Warsaw
November 22, 2013
- Corporate Capture in Warsaw: The 'New Normal' in the Disaster Zone
November 18, 2013
- If You Can 'Speak' with Your Money, Then Why Is Asking For Money Illegal?
November 18, 2013