This Week in OtherWords: A Spotlight on Poverty
June 5, 2013 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Jill Richardson puts her own brush with food stamps into a broader context.
his week in OtherWords, Jill Richardson puts her own brush with food stamps into a broader context, Jim Hightower lampoons a rich Tennessee lawmaker who wants to slash spending on the program but pockets plenty of farm subsidies, and Marc Morial calls for raising the minimum wage. Donald Kaul, meanwhile, bids Michele Bachmann a not-so-fond farewell.
If you haven't already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
Here's a clickable summary of all our latest commentaries and a link to our new cartoon.
- None of My Business / Chris Schillig
We have a cockeyed view of poverty in America.
- Prosperity for All / Richard Kirsch
The economy that matters is measured by whether enough Americans hold decent jobs, not the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
- Boosting the Economy from the Bottom Up / Marc Morial
It's time to raise the minimum wage and peg it to inflation.
- Michele Bachmann Bows Out / Donald Kaul
Her most hilarious accomplishment was being named to the House Intelligence Committee.
- The Wealthy’s Free Pass / Sam Pizzigati
Our tax code pads the bottom line of the Americans who need help the least.
- Feeding the Economy / Jill Richardson
The government should expand the food stamp program, not shrink it.
- A Frog-Jumping Double Standard on Food Subsidies / Jim Hightower
Millionaire lawmaker Stephen Fincher is pushing for cuts to food stamps and increases in subsidies that will pad the Tennessee Republican's own bottom line.
- Cleaning Up Our Portfolios / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
A new movement is putting pressure on people and institutions to dump their investments in dirty energy companies.
- Food Stamps SOS / Khalil Bendib
Emily Schwartz Greco is the managing editor of OtherWords, a non-profit national editorial service run by the Institute for Policy Studies OtherWords.org
- Six of the Top Ten U.S. Billionaires Are Kochs and Waltons
November 25, 2013
- What's Hot and What's Not at COP19 in Warsaw
November 22, 2013
- Corporate Capture in Warsaw: The 'New Normal' in the Disaster Zone
November 18, 2013
- If You Can 'Speak' with Your Money, Then Why Is Asking For Money Illegal?
November 18, 2013