This Week in OtherWords: A Genetically Engineered Food Special Edition
October 10, 2012 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
In her debut guest column, Jill Richardson challenges big food companies to boast about their penchant for these modified crops if they're so wonderful.
This week, OtherWords is running three commentaries and a cartoon regarding the growing number of genetically modified foods that land on our plate whether we realize it or not.
In her debut guest column, Jill Richardson challenges big food companies to boast about their penchant for these modified crops if they're so wonderful. Wenonah Hauter introduces readers to the latest newfangled food making a stir: an apple that doesn't brown when it's sliced long before it's eaten. Jim Hightower discusses the ruse maintained by General Mills, Kellogg, and other huge food companies that have bought out tiny organic outfits and tried to not let consumers know.
Any of these commentaries could accompany Khalil Bendib's Snow White cartoon, which depicts a witch handing her a new kind of poisoned apple. And all three address California's upcoming referendum on a new state rule that would require the labeling of genetically modified food. Known as Proposition 37, this requirement would have national ramifications for the industry because of California's huge market.
- Consumer Choice: As American as Apple Pie / Wenonah Hauter
The creation of a new genetically modified apple highlights once again the need for clear labeling of this kind of food.
- Iran in the Campaign's Crosshairs / Chris Toensing
Mitt Romney is playing the same cynical game as Benjamin Netanyahu.
- The Problem with Craig Romney and his Padre / Jason Salzman
Mitt's Latino "ambassador" may speak Spanish, but he can't talk about real policies.
- The Corporate Court's War on Women / Martha Burk
So far, not so good.
- Apparently, Suite Crime Does Pay / Sam Pizzigati
The executives responsible for the financial industry's pervasive fraud are paying no personal price.
- Big Food Fight / Jill Richardson
If the products they sell us are as great as they say, what are General Mills, Kraft, and other processed food behemoths hiding?
- Big Food Behemoths Embarrass their Organic Offshoots / Jim Hightower
Big Food's mobilization against California's right-to-know law is making more green-minded consumers aware of the companies that own their favorite brands.
- Just Don't Let the Other Side Vote / William A. Collins
Texas won't accept your student ID for voting, but your gun permit will do just fine.
- Poisoned Apple, 2012 / Khalil Bendib (Cartoon)
- Genetically Modified Organisms
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Crops
- OtherWords lineup
- Right-Wing Think Tank: Hispanics Welfare Queens
May 16, 2013
- This Week in OtherWords: May 15, 2013
May 15, 2013
- This Week in OtherWords: May 8, 2013
May 8, 2013
- Venezuela's Presidential Elections: The Battle Continues
May 3, 2013