The Lineup: Week of July 23-29, 2012
July 23, 2012 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
Donald Kaul explains his indefinite hiatus in his own words.
This week's OtherWords editorial package features the last Donald Kaul column we'll run — either forever, or for a while. Don explains his indefinite hiatus in his own words, I pay tribute to him in my column, and Khalil Bendib's cartoon celebrates his brilliant legacy.
"Those loafers are going to be hard to fill," said Randy Evans, the Des Moines Register op-ed editor. OtherWords, along with the dozens of newspapers that have run Kaul's column for years, can't "replace" Donald Kaul. He's a one-of-a-kind writer. But we will offer alternatives to those papers. They're everywhere — from Jackson, Tennessee, to Watertown, South Dakota.
Starting next Monday, we'll add Sam Pizzigati to our weekly columnist lineup. Sam's a progressive inequality expert with a conversational tone that's proven popular with traditional and new media outlets. We may also give short-term guest columnists a try soon. Send your suggestions my way.
As always, I encourage you to subscribe to our weekly newsletter and visit our blog. If you haven't signed up yet, please do. I also welcome letters, get-well-soon cards, and the like for Donald Kaul. Send them via email to email@example.com or snail mail them to OtherWords, 1112 16th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20036.
If you support OtherWords' non-profit mission to amplify progressive voices in newspapers and new media, this time of transition is an ideal time to express your feelings with a tax-deductible contribution. Please consider making a donation.
- Real Nowhere Men (and Women) / Peter Certo
Nowhereisland is about living kindly, governing gently, and not taking oneself too seriously.
- Green Scissors for Congress / Ryan Alexander
The United States can't afford giveaways for mining and oil companies anymore.
- The African-American Swing State / Marc Morial
Obama's re-election may require a repeat of the record rate of Black turnout in 2008.
- Lifesaving Law / David Elliot
Steve Gepner's story illustrates the importance of one of the Affordable Care Act's key provisions.
- My Broken Heart / Donald Kaul
I have to figure out whether I want to spend my last years writing about this new country.
- Donald Kaul's Breather / Emily Schwartz Greco
With all that ink running in his veins, no stupid heart attack could interfere with a deadline.
- Tomato Tampering / Jim Hightower
Scientists have figured out a way to genetically engineer the flavor back into industrial tomatoes that taste no better than their shipping cartons.
- Healing Mother Nature's Wounds / William A. Collins
Our Health Is At Stake.
- Donald Kaul Signs Off / Khalil Bendib
- Six of the Top Ten U.S. Billionaires Are Kochs and Waltons
November 25, 2013
- What's Hot and What's Not at COP19 in Warsaw
November 22, 2013
- Corporate Capture in Warsaw: The 'New Normal' in the Disaster Zone
November 18, 2013
- If You Can 'Speak' with Your Money, Then Why Is Asking For Money Illegal?
November 18, 2013