The Lineup: Week of April 9-15, 2012
April 9, 2012 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
In this Tax Day special, Matias Ramos explains how immigrants face taxation without representation.
In this week's OtherWords editorial package, Donald Kaul's column and four op-eds — including one by Matias Ramos regarding the taxation of immigrants without representation — focus on Tax Day. There's also a related cartoon by Khalil Bendib debunking the "job creator" label on the richest Americans. Get all this and more in your inbox by subscribing to our weekly newsletter. If you haven't signed up yet, please do.
- Taxation without Representation / Matias Ramos
Undocumented immigrants consistently contribute to the government's coffers through payroll, sales, property, and income taxes.
- Rich Freeloaders / Betsy Malcolm
It's time for wealthy people like me to become more responsible and pay our fair share of taxes.
- Invoking Fake Job Creators to Cut Taxes on the Rich / Robert L. Borosage
We're squandering an extraordinary opportunity to rebuild America.
- How the Rich Welsh on Retirement Taxes / Gerald Scorse
Withdrawal rules provide big tax breaks to the retirees who need them the least.
- Chairman of the Con Man Committee / Donald Kaul
It's hard to take Rep. Paul Ryan's proposal seriously.
- Keystone XL's Dirty Little Secret / Jim Hightower
The people and companies pushing the tar-sands pipeline don't want you to know that most of this oil won't be made into gasoline for our vehicles.
- Where We Dwell Is Changing Fast / William A. Collins
The American homeownership rate has declined.
- Taxing Job Creators / Khalil Bendib