Labor Day Special: Week of August 27-September 2, 2012
August 27, 2012 · By Emily Schwartz Greco
This week, OtherWords is featuring a wide range of commentaries addressing worker rights.
This OtherWords Labor Day Special features a wide range of commentaries addressing worker rights. Deborah Burger calls for better nurse-staffing ratios at the nation's hospitals, Amy Dean makes the case for accountability when companies getting tax breaks for being "job creators" don't create jobs, and Virginia Sole-Smith casts light on how Mary Kay exploits its own sales force.
- The Lipstick Profiteers / Virginia Sole-Smith
Mary Kay's biggest revenue source may be the dreams of its own pink-clad sales force.
- How to Safely Scale Down the Fiscal Cliff / Salvatore Babones
A slow descent wouldn't be disastrous.
- Rooting out Fake Job Creators / Amy Dean
Without serious accountability, the rallying cry for more "job creation" is likely to amount to nothing more than empty rhetoric.
- Healing our Health Care System / Deborah Burger
Unsafe nurse-to-patient staffing levels are a key cause of 98,000 preventable deaths each year.
- A Bold New Call for a 'Maximum Wage' / Sam Pizzigati
A national labor leader aims to expand the economic fairness debate.
- Percolate-Up Economics / Jim Hightower
Every dime of a minimum-wage hike is spent by its recipients -- circulating upward in our local economies as they increase their purchases of such basics as food, kids' clothing, and health care.
- The Race to the Bottom / William A. Collins
The American middle class isn't the envy of the world anymore.
- Hellish Working Conditions / Khalil Bendib (Cartoon)
- Six of the Top Ten U.S. Billionaires Are Kochs and Waltons
November 25, 2013
- What's Hot and What's Not at COP19 in Warsaw
November 22, 2013
- Corporate Capture in Warsaw: The 'New Normal' in the Disaster Zone
November 18, 2013
- If You Can 'Speak' with Your Money, Then Why Is Asking For Money Illegal?
November 18, 2013